Saturday, August 22, 2009

TGIS (Thank God It's Saturday!)

TGIF means absolutely nothing to me, except that Friday is the glorious end of the work-week for lots of people. Just not for me. In fact, for many shopkeepers like myself, Saturday can be the busiest day of the week. If you want to be here for the action, or if it's a fiscal challenge to pay someone else, well, Friday won't be much cause for celebration.


As those of you out there who work Saturdays can probably attest, no matter how much you enjoy your job, (and believe me, I love, love, love my job,) it, um, stinks (in lieu of a much less tasteful verb) to work on a Saturday. I do have two days off most weeks, Sundays and Mondays... having a weekday off can be an advantage because it's a great time for taking care of personal business/errands... I always hope for a beautiful Sunday ('cause that's my funday.)


On busy Saturdays, you can work so hard that you forget you're actually working on a Saturday. But on slow Saturdays like today, when everybody's out, not shopping, but at beaches and friends' houses and on vacation enjoying the nice weather on this last weekend before the back-to-school preparations begin, I want to just close up shop and head to the local Saturday farmers market that I've never even been to.


One particularly lovely Saturday a customer said to me, "I'll be sure to go to the beach for you today." Hmm... I think that was supposed to make me feel better?


Now don't get me wrong, it's not as if I don't have an extremely long to-do list, and of course I'm procrastinating on certain projects (things I will just never enjoy like accounting and getting rid of things I don't need anymore).
Tuesday through Friday, it's a different playing field. After all, it seems like everyone else is at work then, like we're all in it together, like I'm connected to a larger work continuum.
Well, I'll get back to my chocolate (another bad thing about slow Saturdays) and my to-do list. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. TGIS!


P.S. I'm eating the best chocolate cookie right now! It's called a "Ladybug" and it's like a giant fresh raspberry creme filled oreo cookie triple dipped in dark chocolate. One cookie is so substantial that it's all you need to eat at one time. It's all-natural by Nikki's Cookies, and yes, I sell them in my store so check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment